Sheffield Liberal Democrats Councillors have elected their new Shadow Cabinet in a meeting on Monday night.
The Sheffield Liberal Democrat group have elected Cllr. Shaffaq Mohammed the new leader of the opposition on Sheffield City Council.
Cllr. Colin Ross, who announced last week that he would not be standing for the position of leader again welcomed the news. Colin said
"Shaffaq is an excellent Councillor and campaigner, and demonstrated these skills leading a successful campaign as our Campaign Manager in the recent local elections. I have full confidence that he will be a fantastic leader and wish him all the best."
Shaffaq said "These local elections have shown The Liberal Democrats can win again. I'm ambitious not only for the Lib Dems but ambitious for Sheffield.
I want to represent and fight for all communities and get a fair deal for everyone in Sheffield and I'll be taking the fight to the Labour Council who for too long have taken people for granted."
Cllr. Penny Baker was also returned as the groups deputy leader for a second term.
The full Shadow Cabinet list is -
- Chair of Cabinet and Leader of the Opposition – Cllr. Shaffaq Mohammed
- Deputy Leader of the Opposition and Shadow Cabinet Member for Finance and Resources
- Shadow Cabinet Member for Business and Economy – Cllr. Martin Smith
- Shadow Cabinet Member for Children, Young People and Families – Cllr. Steve Ayris
- Shadow Cabinet Member for Infrastructure and Transport – Cllr. Ian Auckland
- Shadow Cabinet Member for Community Services and Libraries – Cllr. Vickie Priestley
- Shadow Cabinet Member for Housing – Cllr. Richard Shaw
- Shadow Cabinet Member for Culture, Parks and Leisure – Cllr. Roger Davison
- Shadow Cabinet Member for the Environment – Cllr. Joe Otten
- Shadow Cabinet Member for Health and Social Care – Cllr. Bob Pullin