What is needed?
Sheffield is a wonderful place to live with 60% being green space and a third of the city being within the Peak District National Park. Liberal Democrats believe that green space is vital in maintaining the character of Sheffield and as an amenity for all residents and any development must be sensitive to the needs of the wider community.
Sheffield has a proud history and culture which could be more widely used for residents and to attract visitors to the city.
Supporting efforts locally to reduce waste and pollution enables us to make our contribution to national and global targets.
What we will do
Protect our green spaces & improve the local environment
- Introduce a ‘Keep Sheffield Green’ fund – an additional pot of money for local communities to decide how best they would like to invest in their environment eg street tree retention, cycle routes, recycling.
- Prioritise the use of brown field sites for all types of housing and business development.
- Protect our urban parks so everyone has access to green, open space.
- Deliver more residential communities within the city centre with a blend of high density private housing and purpose designed, good quality, affordable homes.
- Support high quality student accommodation in areas convenient for our two excellent universities which will return more traditional family homes to the general population.
- Promote good relationships with community groups who work to improve our open spaces. Encouraging involvement has health benefits as well as improving the local amenities.
Enable people to reduce waste
- Extend the recycling of plastics and make it easier for residents to recycle plastic eg by requiring the council contractor to undertake more separation.
- Investigate reverse-vending for plastic bottle returns and encouraging water bottle re-filling points in public places & businesses. Explore the collection of food waste for composting.
- Increase the number of green bin collections in the autumn and promote the take up of the service to households across the city.
- Explore an increase in provision of dog waste bins in areas of high demand.
Promote our culture & heritage
- Increase the professional support for our community libraries
- Encourage organisations & businesses to sponsor widely accessible cultural & sporting events.
- Build upon Sheffield’s unique football heritage with the oldest club in the world and the oldest continually used ground. We will approach the Premier League and Football Association to invest in our football heritage.
- Open up the castle market area of the city to combine with Victoria Quays to make this part of Sheffield attractive to more visitors and show off Sheffield’s heritage. Encourage schools to use Sheffield Castle as part of their education about Sheffield’s history.
|PLEDGE YOUR VOTE ▶|