What is needed?
Liberal Democrats believe in an open and transparent council that listens and acts for the interests of Sheffield residents.
We condemn Labour’s mismanagement of the ‘Streets Ahead’ contract, particularly with the felling of healthy street trees. The council has failed to listen to genuine concern of local residents and has not engaged with them in a meaningful way to find solutions that could retain more of our much loved street trees. Our city’s reputation has been damaged both nationally and internationally. Urgent action is required to restore Trust and Confidence in the Council and in our city.
Liberal Democrats are committed to the promotion of a flourishing system of democratic local government in which decisions are taken and services delivered at the most local level viable. Too many decisions have been centralised under Labour, making them less responsive to local need. Sheffield currently has a democratic deficit with too many decisions taken by a small number of councillors.
What we will do
- Liberal Democrats will engage campaigners and communities to review the implementation of the ‘Streets Ahead’ contract. We will explore ways to maintain more of the city’s trees and make use of the various engineering solutions available.
- We will seek to make public services responsive to the people they serve, to encourage variety and innovation within them and to make them available on equal terms to all.
- Currently the City Council has restricted access to some of the contracts signed with private companies to deliver public services. We will allow more access and scrutiny of contracts by opposition councillors and local residents.
- We will make City Council meetings more accessible for local residents via live and catch-up video recordings that will allow residents to make sure their elected representatives are working for them.
- We will explore the development of a council app that will provide residents with access to council information and services.
- We will press the government to introduce proportional representation for local elections, so the council more closely resembles the views of its citizens.
- A Liberal Democrat City Council would undertake a full review of the structure of the council to devolve power downwards and increase the influence of residents and their local representatives.
- Liberal Democrats will change the decision-making processes of the council to a system which gives all local councillors responsibility for more decisions, making them more accountable to the people who elect them.
- Give residents more opportunities to improve transport in their local area by devolving local transport funding.
- Reverse the cuts to the Parish and Town councils to enable local communities to make decisions on how money is spent in their area.
|PLEDGE YOUR VOTE ▶|