The budget proposed to Sheffield City Council by the Lib Dems trusts you to make decisions for our city. A Liberal Democrat Council would give communities the power and money to make the decisions that are best for them. In short, we would build a City with trust, truth and transparency at its core. It's time for a Council that works for you.
By using the money we have better, we have managed to keep Council Tax down while maintaining quality council services.
This is what a Liberal Democrat Council would do to put trust, truth and transparency at its core:
- We would invest £3.6 million into adult social care. This is exactly the same amount as Labour – but with lower Council Tax than Labour.
- We would create a ‘Helping Hand’ fund to provide care for people who need urgent, short-term support.
- We would invest in training to support front line care staff. This would help ensure that standards of care are always at the highest.
- We would support Sheffield’s foster carers by giving them a Council Tax reimbursement.
- We would introduce free evening and Sunday City Centre parking.
- We would investigate the possibility of a ‘Sheffield Pound’ to encourage local people to shop locally.
- We would designate part of the New Retail Quarter for small local businesses.
- We would invest in small business infrastructure so that local businesses flourish.
- We would devolve £1.3 million in transport funding to local communities. They can then choose the highway improvement they think are best.
- We would create a special fund to improve road safety near schools and put aside extra money for more crossing wardens.
- We would reinstate the Snow Warden scheme.
- We would create a task force to tackle litter, graffiti, fly-tipping and dog fouling.
- We would provide extra funding for libraries.
- We would create a Greener Sheffield pot of money. This would allow local communities to invest in their environment.
- We would take power away from the Council Leader and the Cabinet and let ALL councillors vote on the issues, not just a select few as happens now.
- We would build a Sheffield City Council app for mobile phones. This would give everyone access to crucial information.
- We would broadcast council meetings to ensure openness and transparency.
- We would reverse Labour’s cut to Parish Councils.
Our city is great because of the people who live and work here. Only by trusting you to make the best decisions for our city can we achieve Sheffield's fullest potential. We feel that our budget gets the best out of Sheffield by giving support to those who need it, keeping tax low for everyone and distributing power to communities.
Please support our budget by signing up below.